Sunday, January 1, 2012

Ho-Hum Holidays!

I don't know about everyone else, but I am sooooooooo glad all the Holidays are over! I some what enjoy putting up my puny decorations, but my OCD sets in and I can't get the ornaments just right or the ribbon even and it just usually makes me grumpy.  Then all the shopping, not just shopping for gifts, but shopping in general.  I don't care where you go during the month of December, it's going to be busy, busy!  I think next year I am going to buy groceries for the entire month of December in one shot that way I won't have to leave the house!  On top of all that, we always go over board with gifts for the kids and it's stupid, they're spoiled, yet we do it every year!  So, with all of this lingering bah-humbugness I have, I've decided next year we're doing a destination Christmas!  A nice hotel suite, swimming pool and various attractions and that will be the Christmas present for the family.  Anyone else ever tried this?  Any tips or suggestions?  I think it'll be swell.  Perhaps we can take a mini tree with a single gift for each child.  I suppose I can't ruin the whole Santa Claus thing for them just yet, but this massive pile of gifts and expense has got to take a year off!  Besides, I think we should just enjoy being together and savoring experiences as a family.  Fast forward to next Christmas and as I read this post, I'll weep uncontrollably at the good intentions I had, HA!  I at least have a year to plan it all out, we'll see. . . . .

I hope everyone had a great New Years.  I was asleep by 10:30 and I believe my Hubs was asleep shortly after midnight.  The kids crashed around 9.  Basically, it was a typical night for us.  I've never been a big New Years person, I dunno why.  Just always seemed silly to me, partying so much for a calendar technicality.  I suppose I could be all dramatic and think of the possibilities of a "fresh start"  or "clean slate" for the new year, but I'm too much of a pessimist to go for all that.  For those who are, more power to ya!

When thinking about these Holidays, perhaps my attitude towards them stems from the fact that my birthday is the day after Christmas.  Yes, my name is Carol and I was born the day after Christmas, Thanks Mom!  Having a birthday in the midst of all that Christmas craziness has always sucked.  I've had 1 birthday party my entire life and it was in June.  I can't remember how it all came about, but I have a few pictures of me and friends all together in the summer having a birthday party.  My actual birthday always gets swept under the rug.  My poor Husband has tried every year, unsuccessfully, that we've been together to make my birthday special.  I've given up on it, I just don't get a birthday and that's okay.  I've finally got myself used to the combined presents and brush off of any potential birthday celebration anywhere near my actual date of birth.

After all this complaint though, I can say I enjoyed Christmas overall through the eyes of my children and if nothing else, this picture made it all worth while!

No comments:

Post a Comment